Archives for Gay History

What is that tall thing in Gay?

  In 1921 the old 6 1/2 foot brick-lined steel smoke stack was replaced with a reinforced concrete stack that was 265 feet high. The stack was 13 feet 4 inches wide at the bottom,
Read More

Why Gay?

  The town was named for Joseph E. Gay, a director of the Mohawk and Wolverine Mining Companies. He explored the area that was eventually used for mining and milling. In 1896, a lumberman named
Read More

Gay’s History

  At its peak, Gay, Michigan, had 1,500 residents and 117 houses. There were company stores and a schoolhouse for 250 students. Today, only a few remain including the Gay Bar. In the late 1800s,
Read More